Wednesday, May 26, 2010

My First "John Wayne" Moment - A True Sign of Getting Old?

The news this morning has hit a  depressing milestone for me.   For goodness sake - the Gulf of Mexico oil spill, if thought about for any length of time with even minimal intelligence, should be enough to shut down anyone's sanity all on it's own!   Never mind the other tidbits all the tv stations have thrown out for nibbling on!  So I wildly punch the remote, hoping for some hidden pearl.  A 10 year old antique roadshow? An arts documentary? Some religious, historical, conspiracy threaded piece of fluff?
  An obscure classic film now recognized as Camus influenced?  Something to allay the guilt for not being able to handle the news?  Something I can convince myself I really shouldn't miss?

That may have been nice but what is showing on the screen across the room is classic in it's way, but not on the arty or intellectual wavelengths.  It's John Wayne in 1932's "The Big Stampede".  He's so young he glows.  And he's such a good guy, of course!  And so - finally - my first John Wayne moment!  I feel better, safer, more secure, and yes, infinitely more stupid! but still - sitting here watching him round up the bad guys in an old b&w western!!

No comments: