Saturday, August 21, 2010

OMG I'm Becoming My Mother #1 or What the ? With the International Symbols on the Oscillating Fan

It is truly an infinitesimal moment when you clearly realize you have become your mother.  I think I may have had mine this morning.  I've had glimpses, brushes with, vague discomfort at possibly sounding like her, but this was a true I am my mother moment.

Another hot summer in Texas with heat indexes nearing and hitting 110 in the afternoons.  The a/c works, poor thing, it never stops working, the ceiling fans never stop, but it can still get pretty warm.  So the other half brings me a new fangled tower fan.  Bless her technology enabled brain, we have the newest cutting edge design in oscillating fans.  This morning, about 6 am, after letting dogs in and out and the rest of my morning routine, I sit down with my coffee.  It's just a little stuffy, early enough that the temp is probably in the low 70's, the heat index in the low to mid 80s, high humidity but the sun isn't hitting the roof full force yet.  The a/c is taking it's one and only break time of the day.   It's just a little still and sticky so I decide to turn my new fan on. 

This fan has a timer, an ionizer, it oscillates AND it does some sort of pulsing with the air - all of these options are controlled by little push buttons at the top of the fan.  All the buttons have some sort of international symbols for their function.  OK - the clock button is easy, that's the timer.  Now I'm looking for the I and O for off and on - nope, not there.  We have all new symbols - they look like astrology mark ups at a psychic fair.  What in the sam hill, how do I get this gosh dern thing to work and why in Hades couldn't they have just put what was what in plain old English - if they're want to sell it in America than it needs to be in English!!!

That's it - OMG, I'm my mother.

1 comment:

cookingwithgas said...

if that is all it takes then we are all becoming your mother!